Skip to content September 20, 2018
- SI Foods Dosa Batter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 Tbs. ghee (clarified butter) or regular butter
- 1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. chana dal (split black chickpeas)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 large potatoes, boiled
- 8 oz. coconut, cilantro and tomato chutney (optional)
- 16 oz. sambar (vegetable lentil stew, optional)
- Prepare Masala Dosa Filling: Add oil or ghee to a skillet.
- Add mustard seeds and chana dal.
- Shake mixture over the flame until golden brown.
- Add curry leaves (whole leaf), green chiles, and onions.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt (for taste). Stir.
- Break up boiled potato into small chunks and add them to your mixture. Add water and stir.
- Prepare Masala Dosa: Pour refrigerated dosa mixture into a small bowl with a flat bottom.
- Pour batter into a greased skillet.
- Immediately, starting from the center, begin forming a circular shape with the batter using the flat-bottomed dish.
- Brush on ghee (or regular butter) to frying dosa.
- Place filling near the center of the dosa.
- Lightly lift the edges of the dosa.
- Begin rolling from the edge of the dosa as you would a wrap.
- Remove dosa from hot top or skillet.
- Masala Dosa is typically served with coconut, cilantro and tomato chutney as well as sambar (vegetable lentil stew)